Yarn Slave

Because we're all a slave to our passions

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Parades, Picnics, and Eric's Jungle Adventure

Haven't had time to blog for the past week, but I have been busy!


First, last Saturday was the annual North Haven Memorial Day Parade. Since the parade passes the end of our street, and since we are on a cul-du-sac, we're pretty much trapped here for the duration, so I usually make a picnic out of it.


One thing our little town does is offer the kids, and anyone else who wants to, the opportunity to march in the parade. The young one had the opportunity to march with both Little League and the Cub Scouts. As with the 3 big guys, I always tried to steer them to the scouts, as there's always a mob of kids marching with the sporting teams. Unfortunately, Eric took the camera with him, and he was also marching with the scouts, so I don't have very many pictures of the parade. I really wish I could have gotten a picture of the Red Hat Society!!




Eric did get a picture of the WWII Sherman Tank that was one of the first vehicles in the parade. I really, really, really want one of these. No one would cut me off if I was going down the street in this - especially if I started shouting about being a crazed peri-menopausal woman having a hot-flash!!


The parade is only a little over a mile, from the Middle School to the town green, so Eric decided to try taking Duchess and let her march with the Scouts, but all the waiting, line-up starts and hour before the parade begins, got her too tired out, so when the parade passed, she dropped out.




The waiting for the parade to start can be, shall we say, challenging with a groups of Cub Scouts. I know from my days as a den mom. Here's the young one's group as they are getting ready to start out. One of the other Mom's is holding Madame.




Of course, all parade's need a review. Here's the young one at the parade end, saluting as his group passes the viewing stand.




At least, after a week of rain, we had a beautiful, sunny day for the parade. A little too sunny, but as a veteran of many craft shows, I do have a collection of canopies. Here we are, watching the action. Son #1 is standing, Son #3 is sitting with my friend, Darlene, and I'm corralling the bulldog. We decided that next year, we'd do a breakfast - Mimosa's fancy pasties, a fruit tray. Got the idea from the neighbors on the other side of the street. They sure seemed to be having a good time!


Following the parade, we had our annual picnic. Yet another reason that I had no time to blog late last week was because of my latent catering tendencies. I can nver just have one salad with dogs & burgers. No, I have to make at least 4 salads, plus deviled eggs, plus a homemade cake, and on, and on. Well, after a marathon cooking session, I didn't have to cook much for the rest of the week. We still have some food left!!


Eric's Jungle Adventure


Another reason for not blogging last week, was, at least partially due, to what we are now calling Eric's Jungle Adventure. Actually, it was Eric's getting a mild virus infection coupled with a migraine, but since he had gotten several mosquito bites on one of our dog walking excursions over the week end, he was sure that he had West Nile. When I told the nurse, as she was taking Eric's blood-pressure, she politely not laugh. That still did mean that I got the joy of playing taxi mom for all the Little League games and Scout meetings in addition to caring for a sick Mr. Fish!!


Actually, though, the skeeter bites were really just a small part of the Adventure. Behind the soon to be demolished old High School, there is a back driveway, which we call "The Spooky Road". Not really all the spooky, but after dark, well, it IS dark. Anyway, we like to walk down the road as there is normally very little traffic on it.


So, here we are last weekend, walking down "The Spooky Road", when Eric says to me, "Hold the dog's leash." Yes, this is his equivalent of the Redneck's last words "Hold muh beer".




Now, hanging from a tree by the side of "The Spooky Road" os a dead vine. The vine is dead because someone has cut it off at the base, but it is still hanging from the tree. Eric goes over and pulls on the vine, but it breaks!


Not daunted by this little, well, shall we say, WARNING!!! Mr. Fish decides that even though the vine snapped, it is still being held up securely enough for it to support his, a hem, around 200 lbs body as he swings on the vine while giving a Tarzen yell.


I turn and cringe as I fail to stop the inevitable.




Here is what is remaining of the vine as it lies on the roadway.




Here is the spot where Eric bruised his butt on the pavement as the vine came crashing down as Eric's weight pulled it loose from the tree. All he got was one very short "YEOOOOOOOOO" before being cut short when the road hit him. The scary part is, I do believe, somewhere in the back of his fevered brain, Eric still believes that if he'd just held on a bit differently, he would have been successful.


Too bad I didn't have the camera to capture the event live!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home